Sunday, July 12, 2009

Featured Pen - Retro 51 Cioppino


So, when I started to "get into" fountain pens I saw the Cioppino and knew that I really wanted one - it was just so pretty. I had to hunt around for it, at the time they were not readily available, but I finally found one (this was actually the first fountain pen that I purchased after a long absence from using fountain pens).

Retro 51 is a cool pen company, their motto is "Life is too short to carry an Ugly Pen". Before I got into fountain pens, I purchased several of their rollerballs and a couple of pencils. Their products come with very nifty retro packaging and in addition to the great products they have awesome customer service.

I owned a Tornado pencil that kind of fell apart on me, so I emailed them to see about getting it fixed. Well, two weeks went by with no answer so I tossed the pencil. Then I get this email apologizing that they had not gotten back to me sooner, they were all out of the office at a pen show; but if I would send them the pencil they would repair or replace it. Believe it or not, I had thrown the pencil out THE DAY BEFORE I got the email. So I emailed them back and said that, alas, the pencil was history. About 20 mintues later the phone rings and it's the same person who sent me the email, asking for my address so that they could send me a new pencil, a model that was just being released, so I gave them my address and less than a week later I had my new pencil, a Tornado Stealth.

From the Retro 51 website: "These genuine seashell barrels are made in stages to transform the rough seashell pieces into a perfectly fitted pen that radiates color and iridescence."

If I have one complaint about Retro 51 fountain pens, it is that they are designed for ink cartridges only and do not come with a converter. However I discovered that the small Monteverde converter will fit this pen. The nib is only available as a medium, but it is smooth and writes great.

5 comments:

Sam said...

Brilliant review and your FP looks great! :) Thanks also for posting a source of the Monteverde converters, I have been trying to find one of these for my Kaweco Sport for ages - not available in the UK.

The Archer said...

okami, congratulations on your Retro 51 pen. i also have a retro51, and it's a great writer!

Joshua said...

I got the Cioppino as a present a couple Christmases ago. It's one of my best-writing fountain pens. Thanks for the tip on the converter. I also bought a Retro 51 desk set with a Scriptmaster fountain pen. Not nearly as good of a pen, but I found that the Waterman converter that came with my Phileas pen (may it rest in peace) will fit it just fine.

Anonymous said...

Hello Whatever, I have a Retro 51 Scriptmaster
Fountain pen in Pink and want to Convert it to a ROLLERBALL where do I find that piece ? Thanks alot for your time, Showbiz54

Julie (Okami) said...

Hi - Showbiz54 - I think your best bet would be to contact Retro51's customer service, sales@retro51.com

Post a Comment