Friday, August 21, 2009

Featured Pen - Esterbrook Pastels

This is one of those posts where the photos can pretty much speak for themselves.

These are Esterbrook J Pastels and let me point out that the green pen in the middle is damaged. The lip of the cap is missing, but the pen still works fine.

Esterbrooks are considered the "workhorse" of the fountain pen world, virtually indestructible, although the plastic used for the Pastels is more brittle and the lip of the caps seem to be prone to cracking, hence the damage to the green pen above.

I have two other Esterbrook pens, a J and a Dollar Pen, both in black, so I thought that I would introduce the color first.

There is an enormous amount of information available on the Esterbrook pens. Please check out Brian P. Anderson's website and the wonderful book called The Fountain Pens of Esterbrook by Paul Hoban which can provide tons of information about this company and their pens.

And then there is the Fountain Pen Network where these pens have their own forum.

One of the really great things about Esterbrook is the fact that the nibs are interchangeable. So, if you buy a pen and don't like the nib, no big deal just find what you want and put a different one in the pen. Now, that being said keep in mind that these are vintage pens and they are not making them, or the nibs, anymore and some of the nibs can be expensive.

The writing samples here are from the post I did on the Bastille Day inks on July 26 using the blue Pastel with a 9284 Signature Stub.


phonelady said...

thanks for the wonderfull pen review still looking for one that I can afford , so that I can replace the one that has broken on me and the only one true fountain pen I had . I have been reduced to using ball point pens . Oh the misery of it all . LOL !!!great blog .

inkophile said...

Great photos and writing samples. The pastel Esties are so pretty that it's hard to stop at just one. But you already know that. ;)

Sam said...

Your Estie pastels are gorgeous! I love my Estie SJ, though I think I may have to experiment with a different nib - need something a wee bit thicker.

School Supplies Sleuth said...

The Estie pastels have such a touch of simple sophistication to them, which makes them so attractive to me. Vintage... nice!

Post a Comment