Friday, September 4, 2009

Featured Pen - The Parker 45


There really is not much that I can say about this pen because the Parker 45 is truly in a class of it's own. The fact that I own three should tell you something. The only other pens that I own three of the same are the Esterbrook Pastels, the Parker 51 and the Lamy Safari.

The Parker 45 was produced by Parker for almost 50 years. That in and of itself should tell you a lot about this pen. But if you want to really read the history from an expert please go the the site Parker Penography: PARKER 45 and read the complete history written by Tony Fischier. In fact he has wonderful histories of all the Parker models on his site, it's well worth spending a little time there.

Richard Binder
also has a wonderful Parker 45 reference page on his website. If you know anything about fountain pens you will recognize the name and if you don't you should become familiar with it, he's an expert.

My pens are from the top:

Parker 45 CT with a slide converter, era 2001 - 2007
Parker 45 Flighter, all stainless steel, with an aerometric converter, era 1964
(I have the matching ball point to this pen, which I carry with my checkbook)
Parker 45 Deluxe, 1/10 rolled gold cap, with a squeeze converter, era 1967




As you can see these pens have different nibs, which was another wonderful feature of the Parker 45, the nibs can be changed out. Reminiscent of the Esterbrook don't you think? The 45 nib screws out, just like the Esterbrook, but since the nib is hooded it has a long exposed feed, so you should be very careful with it. But it is one of the features that endeared this pen to me, besides just being an awesome writer, so I have two "Pendleton Point" nibs ground by my friend pb2 over at the Fountain Pen Network.



3 comments:

phonelady said...

You going to make me cry again . I am still w/o my pen . I am looking to replace but have to wait for funds . :(!as usual what is new right ? anyways great blog my dear and so enjoy your pen reviews and your blogs in general . Have a great wknd .

Lauren said...

Hmmm, I sold a lot of 45s in my day but could never convince myself to commit to using one of those inset-type nibs... you pics and review make me think I might need one after all. :)

Dazzlement said...

Richard Binder also has a wonderful Parker 45 reference page on his website. If you know anything about fountain pens you will recognize the ... fpenparker.blogspot.com

Post a Comment