Thursday, November 19, 2009

Featured Pen - Pilot Namiki 78G

The Pilot 78G is an inexpensive utility type pen that contains several wonderful surprises. First of all is the price. I acquired all three of mine from winningpen on eBay for about $12 each, including shipping from Hong Kong. This seller always ships quickly and is very reliable, but there are a number of other reputable eBay and non eBay sellers who carry this pen.


These pens come with aerometric fillers and use bottled fountain pen ink, however the coverter is removable if you prefer to use a cartridge. They come in 4 standard nib sizes: F, M, B and BB. The unique thing with these nib is that the B and BB are both italic nibs rather than the standard round nib. I have not seen the BB nib from the eBay seller I have used but I have seen it elsewhere.



As with most Japanese nibs the F and M are finer than their US counterparts.



Click on image to enlarge:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had one of these with a broad nib but sold it - they use the same feed for the F,M and B nibs and it can't keep up with the B nib so they are a very dry writer.

I have a Pilot eye-dropper with the same nib as a 78G (in a medium) and I must say the nib is excellent for the price.

Carl

phonelady said...

wow you guys always find such nice deals on ebay and I never find anything on there that I could afford . wow sounds like you are enjoying them kuddos to you . Thanks for sharing and posting .

Stephanie said...

Whoa, $12 including shipping is very inexpensive. Thanks for the review. I'm not sure I paid attention to the name before but now that I've seen pictures I will.

Mer said...

I have one of each, as well, and I love them. Carl, I don't find my B to be a dry writer at all. It's my favorite.

Anonymous said...

You CAN use Pilot cartridges.

Julie (Okami) said...

Anonymous is correct. I discovered that the aero converter can be removed from this pen and a cartridge may be used instead.

Damon Young said...

I just skipped here from FPN.

Yes, these 78Gs are very impressive. And the price...

They nudged me to re-evaluate my M-nib fixation.

Anonymous said...

Julie

Sorry to turn this into a discussion :)

Mer - that's interesting maybe it was the inks I was using at the time....

Must say the broad was delightfully stubbish/italic - may have to revisit with different inks.

Carl

Julie (Okami) said...

Carl,

No need to apologize. The discussion is welcome. I also have not found the B to be a dry writer and I agree, it very well could be the ink that you were using.

Anne said...

These are on e-bay at the moment for a `buy it now` price of $19.99 for 4.

Anonymous said...

Julie,

I was wondering what B, F, and M nib stood for. I got my answer now, thanks. I'm going with the Black one and a F nib.

Justin

Post a Comment