Friday, March 5, 2010

Featured Pen - Pilot Prera



I purchased this pen from another member of FPN for two reasons, it was pink (I didn't have my pink Lamy Safari at that time) and it has an italic nib. This pen generally does not come with an italic nib, believe me I tried to find more. But I guess the seller either knew someone, had them ground or, my strongest belief, the nibs came from other type of Pilot pen originally. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. The nib is marked and the feed is identical to the feed in the Pilot 78G, but this nib is silver in color rather than the gold of the 78G.



This is a small pen, only 4-3/4 inches long capped, 4-1/4 inches unposted and 5-1/4 inches posted. It weighs in at 15 gm with the cap.

It is solidly built but feels very light in your hand. It is typical of the lower end Pilot products. Light, inexpensive without sacrificing quality.

The pen is available from several online sources at prices ranging from $36 to $42. It is well worth the price.



Paper is Rhodia Bloc No 16 - click on image to enlarge:

10 comments:

bleubug.com said...

The nib looks just like the one that comes on a Plumix so my guess is that it was a swap. I've heard of people doing that exact thing. It's a pretty pen and a great value. Nice review.

Cheryl said...

I have one of these pens too, only it's lime green with the fine nib. I agree with your review - great pen for the price. Nice photos!

kookychick said...

I've heard about the Plumix nib swap on the Prera, too! Since I have the Plumix already, I was considering getting a Prera so I could try it for myself. :-) Love the colors available for the Prera!

Stephanie said...

Such a cute pen! Thanks for the review!

Gentian said...

Great review :)

It is a Plumix nib. Leigh Reyes featured the "swap" om her blog: www.leighreyes.com/blog/?p=1754

I want a Prera so I can swap my nibs from my Plumix as well since I don't like the Plumix grip very much. The Plumix, Penmanship, Prera and Parallel Pens are all friction fit. The nibs and feed can be removed and replaced relatively easily. I've done it with mine to clean them. It goes back in easily too. :)

Julie (Okami) said...

I want to share with you a comment that I received from a friend in London: "Now, about the Prera. The italic nib comes as a standard option here in the UK; no choice of width just a generic 'italic' nib. Very tasty smooth writer as you have found out." I did receive my Prera from a UK FPN member.

Cza said...

I've ordered this Pilot Prera (in pink, too!) and will be getting one soon! I'm still debating between the Lamy Vista and a Lamy Safari (in pink, too).

Mind giving me a heads up on whether a Safari would still be a good purchase now that I already own a Prera? :)

Julie (O-kami) said...

CZA
A Safari is always a good buy no matter what other Pena you own.

Cza said...

Thanks for the tip! What do you think about Safari vs Vista?

Julie (O-kami) said...

I have and like both. I just spends on whether you want a demonstrator or color.

Post a Comment