Monday, April 19, 2010

A Paper Conundrum



I have a fountain pen, ok, ok, I have more than one, but this one is special. I call it "The Paper Tester".

I love this pen, it is a Eversharp Skyline Excecutive with a very fine, very flexible nib. I call it "The Paper Tester" because if the paper can stand up to it without feathering and/or bleedthrough then that paper can stand up to anything.

That being said, there are a couple of papers that truly withstand the test: Neenah's Classic Crest 24 lb writing weight and Clairefontaine Triomph writing tablets. So, you ask, what about my beloved Rhodia? This is where I experience my conundrum. I have a number of Rhodia pads at hand, ranging from the tiny Bloc Rhodia No 10 to the full size Bloc Rhodia No 18. They also include lined, gridded and the new DotPad.







All of these pads have the same Rhodia paper inside (80g/m2 - 21.3 lb) so why do they all perform very differently with the same pen? Some feather; some feather and bleedthrough; while others behave perfectly. The only trend that I have found is that the papers which behave perfectly are ones that I acquired very recently, the older pads are the culprits, so maybe there is something different in the way that Rhodia is processing it's paper, I don't know.

No matter, I love this paper and will always use it. It is my "go to" paper for everything and I adore the new DotPad.

The first set shows varying degrees of feathering and bleedthrough, click on the picture for a closer look:


This second set shows no feathering and little or no bleedthrough, again click on the picture for a closer look:

11 comments:

ladydandelion.net said...

This is such a great post! I love this kind of comparisons and the Skyline is beautiful - I must get myself a Skyline some day. An ink to throw into this paper test is the Diamine Royal Blue - a beautiful super-featherer and using that in this pen would most certainly create a super standard!

Speedmaster said...

Agreed, great post! ;-)

Erica said...

The Rhodia Drivers made a post back in March about Rhodia users reporting inconsistencies because the machine they were normally printed on was being serviced...

http://rhodiadrive.com/2010/03/24/no-6-machine/

Maybe your older pads were affected by that!

Julie (Okami) said...

Thanks Erica - that's very possible and interesting.

phonelady said...

Love the pen and the ultra cute name for it the paper tester . that you are , a paper tester have a great week .

TAO said...

Great post and test. I'm always happy to see this real world stuff shown.

JoniB said...

I remember the post that Erica is referring to. I'll bet that's the issue.

Great post! The pen is so beautiful! What is that lady's age, if I may be so bold? I have a weakness for 1930s and 1940s and the pen looks like it came from that era.

Julie (Okami) said...

Joni - The Skyline hearkens from the 1940s. She will be the subject of her own post in the upcoming weeks. Thanks for the comments.

Palimpsest said...

The Skyline is a beauty. I love how the cap contrasts with the body of the pen. Great post.

Carmen said...

oh, nice. need to do a similar test in my Rhodias, although I don;t think I have that many...

Julie said...

Brilliant post, Julie! Me slow in discovering it. - The Other Julie

Post a Comment