Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day - May 31, 2010

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. "Author Unknown"

I debated long and hard about this post - should I just do a regular post? Letters, envelopes, postcards and pens?

I finally decided that I could not. This post is simply a thank you to all the service men and women who have given the ultimate price for the freedom of this country, their lives.

That price includes my uncle, Leroy Bystrom, USAAF, died July 25, 1943 and my father, Franklin D. Bynum, Cpt, USMC, KIA Khe Sanh, Republic of Vietnam, June 27, 1967.

Thank you.


JoniB said...

Thank you for your post! And my condolances on your losses.

I noticed in your profile that one of your favorite books was "The Things They Carried." It was one of the harder yet more powerful books I've ever read. I recommend it to anyone living in the United States.

Thanks, again!

Stephanie said...

Happy Memorial Day. :) said...

Thank you for deciding to post this. I'm very sorry to hear about both your losses, yet I am glad that you honour them with this post.

Post a Comment