Thursday, June 3, 2010

Featured Pen - Lamy 2000

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]



This is the famous, or is it infamous, Lamy 2000.

I'll be honest, I had absolutely no desire to acquire this pen. It's not particularly an attention getter - no bells, no whistles, no "look at me" feel. Yes, it has received praise and attention from dozens and dozens of fountain pen fanatics as a wonderful pen, but I just said "nah" and focused on my vintage pens.

Then a friend in the UK started telling me that he had acquired one and while he liked it, he was not completely enamored of it. For some time he had been wanting a Pilot Vanishing Point but didn't want to spend the money in case he hated it. I really like my faceted VP from the 1980s but was not as crazy about the more modern Carbonesque's design and found that I did not use this pen very often. So I proposed a trade.

Well, he agreed and off went the Pilot and in came the Lamy.

I was immediately impressed by the understated look and the feel of the pen. Although, a lightweight pen it gives a real feel of sturdiness and quality. As it's arrival happened to coincide with my receipt of J. Herbin's new 1670 Edition Anniversaire ink I immediately loaded it up.

Ok, I mean loaded it up. This pen holds a TON of ink. It is a piston filler with a large ink capacity. This is a double edged sword: you are able to write for a very long time before refilling, but you'd better be happy with the ink you chose.

Here is a description of the Lamy 2000 taken from Wikipedia:
Lamy's flagship fountain pen is the 2000. Designed by Gerd Alfred Müller and released in 1966, it remains in production today. The 2000 was innovative for its day for its use of a special fiberglass resin produced by Bayer, Makrolon, for the body of the pen. It is the only Lamy fountain pen that is a piston fill pen, so thus only takes bottled ink. It has a flexible 14 carat gold nib, though it is plated with platinum, which achieves a uniform colour scheme to the pen. The pen's design demonstrates the Bauhaus influence on Lamy pens, and that of "form follows function". The classic design continues to be popular forty years after being introduced. Notable author Neil Gaiman wrote his book American Gods with his Lamy 2000, which he refers to as his "novel writing pen". In addition to normal production mechanical pencil, ballpoint and four-color ballpoint versions, a commemorative fountain pen version was produced for the millennial called the Edition 2000, which features an inverse design of the original: a stainless steel body with Makrolon ring and polished clip.





Most of the following is taken directly from the Lamy Company website:

The Lamy Fountain Pen Company has a long, long history. Up until 1930, C. Josef Lamy, worked as an export and branch manager for an Amer­i­can writing in­stru­ments man­u­fac­tur­er, The Parker Pen Company according to Wikipedia. When he left Parker he set up his own busi­ness in Hei­del­berg, the Orthos Füllfeder­hal­ter-Fab­rik.

At the be­gin­ning of the Second World War, during Which time the young Hei­del­berg en­ter­prise has to take on ar­ma­ments work, more than 200,000 foun­tain pens of the ORTHOS and ARTUS brands are being pro­duced an­nu­al­ly.

To mark the start of a new era, three years after the end of the War, the name of the firm is changed from Orthos Füllfeder­hal­ter-Fab­rik to C. Josef Lamy GmbH.

The stream­lined foun­tain pen LAMY 27, which with its in­no­va­tive “Tin­tomatik” system ensures a smooth, clean flow of ink, sym­bol­is­es the birth of the LAMY writing in­stru­ments brand and achieves the firm’s break­through on the market.




Well do you think I'm a fan? If not let me tell you that I am! I absolutely adore this pen. It is comfortable, it writes well, they only problem I see is... why the heck didn't I get one sooner?!?!

9 comments:

Speedmaster said...

FANTASTIC! One of my fave pens! Could I get your permission to use 1-2 of your pics and feature this post on my blog tomorrow?

Mary said...

I don't have a Lamy 2000 but now I'm tempted to acquire one. Nice review, Julie.

Tortoise said...

I tried to like my Lamy 2000s. I mean I really tried - but I just couldn't get a good grip on it to write with. The nibs are great, but the shape of the grip just didn't work for me. Ended up selling them.

gregorym said...

I truely love Lamy pens. I have the Studio, the 2000 and the CP1 ball point and I can't do without them. The CP1 like the 2000 is very plain but super sturdy and it fits the Filofax pen loop perfectly. My Lamy studio is my favorite. I absolutely love to write with it. Again not real fancy but very business like and I always can count on it.
I have a Pilot VP (newer version) and a Hero FP that was very expensive, but I'd give them up for another Lamy anytime.

Truppi said...

Can you change nibs on this as easily as the Safari/ Vista?

Julie (Okami) said...

Truppi - my reaction is no - it's not as easy but apparently it can be done, here is a link that tells you how. http://lamypenshop.wordpress.com/2008/04/16/how-to-change-the-nib-of-a-lamy-2000-fountain-pen/

I have not tried this since my 2000 still has ink in it. When it's empty I'll have to check it out.

ladydandelion.net said...

Great review! I like your comment that a large ink reservoir is two folded - I usually like to change inks rather often, so I sometimes think a large reservoir is something of a pain. Thank you!

Note Booker, Esq. said...

Julie,

You expressed my sentiment exactly about the look of this pen. So many of the Lamy pens write wonderfully but are so . . . plain. Even after writing with one at the store and finding it wonderful, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. (I feel the same about the Studio.)

But I'm reconsidering, especially since MelPens has them for $89.00! Anyone here have any comments about MelPens? The price is downright suspicious. (Shipping is $16, as it appears shipping is from Malaysia.)

Oh, one last thing . . . did you find the nib size comparable to the same size on a Safari or AL-Star?

Anonymous said...

You're so right.
I' a Lamy-User since 1978. I had different Lamy piston fillers. The Lamy 66, the Lamy 68 (both with this tiny nib) and of course the 2000. All with a oblique (from OM to OBB). I had and have some Safari and Logo too. They are fine for a "mobile Fountainpen" but they are not the 2000.

And now i lost "him". And i assume that, after an appropriate time of grief, i will get an new one. And again the Question will be: OM or OB?

greets
Mathias

Post a Comment