Thursday, August 12, 2010

Featured Pen - Visconti Rembrandt

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]

Today I'm featuring the second of the three pens I acquired at the Miami Pen show.




Ok, now - don't flip out and immediately delete my blog from your reading lists. Yes, this is a rollerball - but a very different rollerball.



The following comes from the Fountain Pen Hospital's Website:

Once again Visconti brings innovation and creative flair to the pen industry. The Rembrandt Eco-Roller combines Italian design with German engineering. Schmidt of Germany, leading innovators in writing technology, has perfected ink flow technology to create a rollerball system that writes and fills like a fountain pen. Visconti has exclusively added this technology to the hugely successful Rembrandt pen collection. Fill the rollerball using regular fountain pen cartridges or alternatively dip the rollerball head into ink and use a converter. You can now use a rollerball with any color ink you choose. The Eco-Roller is a super smooth everyday writing experience. An extra rollerball tip is included.

Interestingly enough, Michael Masuyama of Mike-It-Work, told me that Sailor developed a pen like this more than 30 years ago and no one was interested in it.



I'm not sure why, but my pen did not come with the extra rollerball tip or a converter, so I contacted the retailer from whom I acquired it and Visconti will soon be sending me the converter and tip, I'll let you know how filling with the converter works. I find it just as simple to refill a cartridge for this pen.

There simply are some times when a fountain pen is not convenient, so now I have an option and what a pretty option it is.


12 comments:

Patrick @ The Norsk Woodshop said...

Awesome Julie! I have the fountain pen version (same color too) and just love it!

I saw the Eco-Writer at the show and was totally impressed by it.

I would love to see your opinion on the bottle filling process. Seems like such a small hole to pull a lot of ink through.

Patrick

Julie (Okami) said...

Patick,

It will be interesting to see how the converter filling works. I will post a followup when I receive it.

Julie

Goldspot Pens said...

I've never tried it myself, but it looks like you may have to fill the converter first and then insert it into the front section. It's a good thing you are getting the extra tip. They are supposed to be sold that way. From what I've heard, the tips only last for about 15 refills.

Julie (Okami) said...

ooo - I don't want to hear that - 15 refills is not particularly eco friendly :-(

JoniB said...

Does it write as easily/smoothly as a fountain pen? I like this idea, too. Can you press down with it to make carbons?

Julie (Okami) said...

Joni

Yes to both. I will be interested to see how long the tips last, I hope it's longer than the 15 refills mentioned by Tom from Goldspot - the tips are $10 to replace, and how does throwing the tip away make it any more eco friendly than buying and throwing away refills. I'll keep you posted.

Cheryl - Writer's Bloc said...

How's the ink flow? Does it tend to be dry or do you get a good ink flow with this one? Nice pen! I'd like one.... but you already knew that :)

Julie (Okami) said...

Hi Cheryl,

I get very good ink flow, it is not dry at all.

hilary said...

Possibly a little in advance of your intentions but what about flushing the pen to use a different colour/make of ink?
A roller may be a bit difficult to clean m'thinks.

Julie (Okami) said...

Hilary - I've actually been thinking about that. Fill the converter with water and push it through? That's another item that I'll have to address.

Ryan@ThePearTree said...

If you have one, an ultrasonic cleaner might do the trick for cleaning it (maybe?). The only concern I would have is that if there's any lubrication/slick coating applied to the ball, that the ultrasonic jiggling might cause premature wear.

Other than that, I'd say that the best method for flushing these things would likely be simply to scribble a lot, and in multiple directions so that the ball rotates all the way around a bunch of times. I had an old West-German made ballpoint that used fountain pen ink (a piston filler, no less - it was very cool), and that seemed to be the best method of cleaning it out if I wanted to change inks. Flush it with water for a while, and then start scribblin'!

The Archer said...

Lovely pen, Julie! I want! :)

Post a Comment