Monday, October 4, 2010

Decorated Art Journal Cover

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]

First, I have to recognize a few people without whom I would never have bought my sketchbook and been inspired to play, since I have no natural artistic talent.  These ladies are in no special order, they have all equally inspired me to pick up pen, paintbrush or marker and play, visit their sites and find some inspiration of your own:
Mia from the jadecow sketches
Sara from Miscellaneous Ramblings
Gentian from Drawing with a Squirrel
Cynthia from Journaling Arts
Leigh Reyes from Leigherous (I adore her dragons)
So, I have an "art journal" (read sketchbook) that I have been working on playing with. I don't really do art journals like some people do them, mostly I scribble, attempt to draw something recognizable, play, doodle, glue stuff, color, paint some and generally make a mess, but it's a fun mess.  And then there are always the happy accidents.

I recently was inspired by Betsy Cañas Garmon over at Wild Thyme Creative to buy the book The Decorated Page by Gwen Diehn (buying your books from Better World Books supports world literacy projects).  Combined with ideas from another book, Journal Spilling by Diana Trout, I decided to decorate attack modify the cover of my Moleskine Sketchbook.

Here are the results:

First I plastered the covers with molding paste.  This is one of the really fun parts, making a mess.


I then scavenged spanish moss from our yard, which is an easy thing, since we have PLENTY to spare.


I  used the moss to create a texture in the paste, pressing it into the wet medium and allowed it to dry overnight. Oh, yeah I also added a few baubles and some stamps from Sweden, courtesy of my friend and fellow blogger, Lady Dandelion, THEN I let it dry.


Next paint.


Watered down acrylic wash on the front and heavier, less diluted, on the back.


Lastly a coat of my new favorite thing - iridescent medium.  I just love this stuff!!  I'm pleased with the result.  Another time I'll show you my doodles and artistic attempts.





11 comments:

Josie said...

Oh wow. What a brilliant idea - and I love the result! Great textures and colour. As I am now in love with Moleskine, I'll have to give this idea a go.

Leigh Reyes said...

That is so beautiful! The molding paste also works well on the Moleskine cahier covers. :D The dragons wave hello, and are very happy to have a little corner in your treasure box of inspiration. :D

mia said...

pretty pretty! i'm honored to be part of your list, and in such talented company. wonderful textures -- who knew? spanish moss! -- and you know, nothing wrong with 'attacking' something to be creative. :)

Sara said...

/blush/ thank you so much for mentioning me and finding my craziness inspiring :)

Your covers turned out marvelously! I might have to get some of this molding paste stuff :D

journalingarts said...

Thank you for finding something I said or did an inspiration, but now I am the one inspired. The texture you created in the paste with the moss is delightful. I really like the look of it with the iridescent paint. Very cool.

I hope you keep on sharing your experiments with us. They really are works of art.

JoniB said...

What a great project! I just may have to think of something to do with my sketchbook. And thank you for the art sites. I've added them to my Reader and Jadecow to my Favorites!

Heather said...

It's always nice to see someone else starting an art journal. This cover looks great. I can't wait to see some pages from inside this book!

If you enjoy Gwen Diehn's The Decorated Page, then I would recommend that you also try her other book, The Decorated Journal. It covers much of the same material but is a bit more detailed and has a very helpful section on bookbinding.

Betsy Cañas Garmon said...

thank you so much for mentioning wild thyme. I am always happy to pass on inspiration and resources. Speaking of inspiration - thank you for sharing your foray into art journaling. It's exciting to see {and quite beautiful.}

~betsy

bengkia said...

The journal looks great. I would love to see some of your doodles and sketches sometime. :)

Julie (Okami) said...

The interior is coming up - very soon - I promise.

Jackie Flaherty said...

I love what you did with this! It's gorgeous!

Post a Comment