Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hand●Book Journal Company Square Journal

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]





I specifically purchased this 5.5" square journal for working on Zentangle® inspired art.  See it's not a true Zentangle® unless it is on a 3.5" square tile.  But I'm not one for coloring inside the lines so I tend to do my Zentangle® inspired art work in just about any sized journal.



This journal has wonderful paper for what I intend to do with it.  It is heavyweight and 100% acid free.


The little pocket in the back of this journal is interesting. It reminds me of a CD or DVD sleeve.


So I tested it out with the items that I don't intend to use on a regular basis


Everything worked well, except the Copics and the Bic Markers.  Some of the fountain pens feathered a little but that's ok.


The label indicates that the paper will accept a light watercolor wash without buckling, I guess my wash wasn't light enough, because there was quite a bit of buckling here.


The journal performs perfectly for what I want, Zentangling®.  I use Copic Multiliner SP .25mm, Sakura Pigma Micron .25 and Faber Castell Pitt artist pen - brush.



5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love when a product works well for what YOU intended it for. :) Have fun Zentangling!

anika said...

I've tried this kind of sketchbook before too, and overall was happy with it, although I had the same wrinkling problem with watercolor, so I stuck with pen and markers. I like the idea of using it as a sketchbook for a dedicated purpose.

Palimpsest said...

I love Hand-Book but I use it as a notebook/journal. I just love the feel of the cover and the paper is great.

Laurie said...

I love the clear pocket so you can see what's in it!!

Millie said...

I recently bought a rectangular one of these to use as a journal. I'm now annoyed to see from your post that the page buckles with watercolour! That's one of the reasons I bought it!

Post a Comment