Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Noodlers Flex Pens

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]






This is the Christmas Noodlers Ink Flex Pen (the demonstrators were gone ).  When I first saw it, I was not particularly impressed with the resin that was used and the green is more black than it is green, but then I have to remind myself that this is a $14 fountain pen, not an Edison or a Nakaya, so get over it.


This is from the Noodlers Ink website and although it is not specific to the Flex Pen it is the same pen, just a different nib:


The Noodler’s Ink colored piston filler set includes: black, red/orange, turquoise, burgundy, and navy blue (additional colors will be available as time passes). They are a classic 1960s design (note the classic bow windowed ink chamber) made from a celluloid derivative developed by a company in Rochester, New York – that has several trade names (including some high priced variants, such as "vegetal resin"). The piston seal is also made of the same material used in most high end piston filling pens of today (a type of nylon). The nib is stainless steel tipped with a hard platinum group metal alloy. The feed is classic as well – being hand made of hard rubber (also known as "ebonite") and unique from plastic feeds in that it can be gently heat set to many different pen nibs without any loss of capillary abilities. The nib size is the classic #2 – the most common nib size of the past 100+ years….and thus the pen can be fitted with a larger number of nibs than any other size. The edge of the cap and section are banded for long term stability and the cap has no internal restrictions (so that a wide shouldered 1940s nib as well as a narrower 1930s nib can fit if the owner chooses to do so).



When I first used this pen I absolutely hated it.  I'll be the first to admit that I am no expert with flex nibs, certainly not like my friend and fellow blogger, Leigh Reyes.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Leigh does with this pen, I'm sure it will be spectacular.  Please enjoy the following video from Leigh's YouTube site:






But for the rest of us who do not reside on the elevated plain of Flex Nib Goddess, this is a great pen for anyone who has ever wanted to try a flex nib, but does not want to pay the high price of vintage flex.  You can find out if you love it, and then spend $100s, or that you hate it, in which case you can spend the $100s on something you really love.  For $14, what have you got to lose?



Oh yeah, there has been some discussion over the accompanying odor of the Nooders Ink pens.   Apparently, some people find that the pens, well... stink.  I did find that there is a noticeable odor but it was not particularly strong nor offensive to me.  Just be warned.



12 comments:

Holly Wendt said...

Very helpful review. It's exciting to know that there's affordable ways to check out the flex nib allure. Thanks for sharing!

KjM said...

Sorry - I watched the video and fell into a well of despair. I may reappear at some point - though this is not certain.

Such ability with a pen and nib!

Still, for $14 perhaps I should put my ego in a box and see what the nib could do for me (note, I don't say what I could do with the nib -sigh-).

Good review - and I note and love the use of your chop.

Stephanie said...

Have you decided if you like flex pens? It seems like it would be fun, but take about a million years to get used to. I'm glad Noodler's started making these for people to try flex out, though!

Chudex's said...

nice read.thanks

Julie (Okami) said...

Yes I do like flex nibs, just they require effort. They are not something you just pick up and take off with.

Laura said...

Glad to see you're gettin use our of your new chop at the end of your test page there :)

writingandscribbling said...

I should be getting one this week. Looking forward to it but I am not expecting miracles.

Andrew said...

I just received the Ivory Darkness flex nib pen on Saturday and find it quite interesting. It's a very light pen, and while I'm no calligrapher the flex nib is fun and unique and reminds of what an antique pen might feel like. It's not the smoothest of pens, but moves along the page nicely, and the flexibility adds character to the line, even when writing normally.

Comfortable Shoes Studio said...

I am one of those people that finds the smell of the resin to be quite offensive. I can still smell it on the cap of my Nikita eyedropper and it makes me gag. While my partner noticed the odor it certainly didn't make her gag, she said it smelled strongly of plastic or chemical.

Julie (Okami) said...

Leslie, You are in good company. Many people can't stand the smell. I can detect it but it does not bother me.

Comfortable Shoes Studio said...

It does fade a lot after a week but every now and then when I take the cap off it hits me.

Peninkcillin said...

The smell goes away after a while and I suspect the more you use it the quicker it goes away. I really need to order myself one of these.

Post a Comment