Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Origami Anyone?

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]

My friend Sam, over at Future;Nostalgic, sent me this very cool Floating Origami kit.  Not sure how he knew that I always wanted to try Origami, but here it is.

First a little about Origami from everyone's favorite know-it-all website, Wikipedia (if there are errors, please feel free to correct them):
Origami (折り紙 from ori meaning "folding", and kami meaning "paper") is the traditional Japanese folk art of paper folding, which started in the 17th century AD and was popularized in the mid-1900s. It has since then evolved into a modern art form. The goal of this art is to transform a flat sheet of material into a finished sculpture through folding and sculpting techniques, and as such the use of cuts or glue are not considered to be origami.
The number of basic origami folds is small, but they can be combined in a variety of ways to make intricate designs. The most well known origami model is probably the Japanese paper crane. In general, these designs begin with a square sheet of paper whose sides may be different colors or prints. Traditional Japanese origami, which has been practiced since the Edo era (1603–1867), has often been less strict about these conventions, sometimes cutting the paper or using nonsquare shapes to start with.
This kit comes with 30 sheets of Origami paper and full color instructions on how to fold a Canoe, Classic (looks kind of like a paper hat), Barge, Lifeboat, Catamaran, Sailing Boat, Seagull and Duck. See the theme? These are all Origami which are designed to float in your bathtub.

Being me, I bypassed all the really simple stuff and dove straight into attempting the intermediate level Seagull.  Here is one of the pages of instructions to fold a Seagull.

But somehow, my Seagull just did not turn out quite like the one on the cover of the book.  I got everything to work except the tail and I'm still puzzling over that one.  Oh, and if he looks a little rumpled... you would to if you had been folded and unfolded and refolded and turned inside out and upside down... well, you get the idea.

So I decided to search the web for more visual instructions on Origami.  Written instructions are all well and good, but I've always done better if I can actually SEE how it's done.  I found this on Metacafe.

I did have to cut my paper into a square to start, but I think the result is pretty good. 

Legend says "Fold one thousand and you can make a wish!"  One down and only 999 to go.  I'll keep you posted, LOL.

Check out this really cool project at Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes.


Laura said...

I always think I'm going to be just AWESOME at origami...and then I get started, and reality sets in ;) I bet a video tutorial would be super helpful, those little diagrams always throw me.

Sam said...

I like your seagull, it has...character! ;) And I love the orange dragon-type creature. I'm pleased you're having fun with the origami, can't wait to see more of the designs you make. :)

box652 said...

You go girl! You can have some fun with origami. I hope you'll keep posting your creations.

Stephanie said...

Ahhh origami! I love it - though the only thing I can reliably fold is a crane. Kind of like your jumping straight into the intermediate designs? I have a lot of origami paper and books, but the directions on paper are pretty hard to figure out.

Origami said...

Nice Post ............

Origami Kit For Dummies gives you all the material you need to get started in origami. Included in the kit is an expert guide book to origami, covering the different bases and techniques you need to create a huge variety of models.

Click Here to Download your own Free e-Book edition. Yes, It's really FREE!!!

Posted by An Origami Fun Lover


Post a Comment