Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Caran d'Ache Dunas

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]

From the Caran d'Ache website:

Caran d’Ache and the story of the black stone
Caran d’Ache has a special link to the worlds of design, painting and writing: its name is a reference to the most important tool in drawing.
From its earliest days in 1915 and the official opening of the company in 1924 by Arnold Schweitzer, Caran d’Ache’s development has reflected its passion for the most beautiful materials. 
Why Caran d’Ache? Because a leading artist of the time was a Russian, Emmanuel Poiré, and in his native tongue “Karandash” means a pencil. It is possible that neither he nor Arnold Schweitzer knew  the true origins of the word and they would be delighted to know that it comes from the Turkish “kara tash” meaning “black stone” the  natural pigment that makes marks. It is graphite, the material that helped to develop drawing and writing and is so valuable for artists and for Caran d’Ache pencils.

Caran d'Ache has a reputation for producing come lovely pens.  Some of them at very lovely prices.  So when I can across this Dunas pen at my local "pen and stationery" store.  I was intrigued.  This is more of an entry level type pen.

The Caran d'Ache Dunas pens feature acrylic resin finish barrel and cap with hexagonal design and chrome-plated clip and trim.  This particular pen has a medium nib.  It is a cartridge/converter fill pen.

I do like this pen, I just haven't found a proper position for it.  Rather like a Border Collie, I think this is a pen that needs a job, so I think that it will be heading to the office with me.


Adwoa said...

What a coincidence! I wrote about my Caran D'Ache Dunas on my blog a few days ago... mine has a fine nib with a slight bit of flex and I have it filled at the moment with Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. I can definitely see this as a work pen - it is very discreet and blends in well.

My blog is at:

Trece said...

Lovely, lovely. How expensive? You say "entry level" I say, I'll be it was more than a disposable. . .

Lady Tortoise said...

That's great if it can tame that gator! It's a nice green ink, but a shame that it feathers so wildly.

Julie (O-kami) said...

LOL - Trece, this pen was more in the $85 range than the $300 range of most of the Caran d'Ache line.

SakiVI said...

Where did you get this pen? I don't see it on the Caran d'Ache website.


Julie (O-kami) said...

SakiVI - I purchased it at a local B&M store - but you can find it at Goldspot

Bunny Roller said...

Excellent article, I would love to buy Caran D' Ache because of the stylishness and uniqueness .

Post a Comment