Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Daler-Rowney Cachet Sketchbook

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]

Daler-Rowney is a manufacturer of art materials which dates back to 1783.  They were originally the Rowney Company and were sold to the Daler-Board Company in 1983.  You may read more about their history on their website.  They produce and sell all manner of art supplies from oil paints and acrylics to canvases and portfolios.

Their products are available at retailers and online stores across the country and around the world.  I purchased this book at Michaels.  I don't know, but I think that this particular sketchbook may have been discontinued, I could not find it anywhere on the web.

The cover is soft and textured, it has the appearance of snakeskin.  Overall the journal measures 10" by 7".

So here is why I think the book may have been discontinued. The paper is not all that great. Everything I used on it either bled or showed through with the exception of the Copic Multiliner SP. It's a real shame because I really like the size of this book and I bought two, one which I sent as a Christmas present - I'm sorry this wasn't a better quality sketchbook.


Ali ─░kizkaya said...

Hi !
Daler-Rowney products discontinued in my country(Turkey) also. I had a hard cover version and paper quality was good for daily usage. I never used soft cover version. Appearance and cover looks well..
Thanks for your review..

Kristin Nohe said...

I have also used this book before... unfortunately it was shrinkwrapped and thus I couldn't feel the paper before hand. I'm sad I spent the money because the paper was not good at all.

ultrageek said...

I've bought over a dozen of these at different sizes. Aside from the ink-bleeding, I like how they open flat. They're still around but hard to find. I finally found the web page for this product (Riata Sketchbooks):

Post a Comment