Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Handmade Life" Reversible Cover Sketchbook

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]


Some while ago I did a post on the Sabrina Ward Harrison notecards that I acquired and I made reference to the sketchbook that I also acquired.





This sketchbook is rather unique in that it is reversible. You can turn it over can start with whichever cover you prefer.  (I'm rather partial to the one below)




Now, what you are not going to see here are any used pages, because the one thing that I have not yet decided is how I want to use this book.  When I do decide I will certainly let you know.

But a little about Sabrina Ward Harrison from her website:
Creative pioneer, Sabrina Ward Harrison has been sharing her life through a vivid interplay of artwork, photography, writing and video.
Sabrina’s authentic approach to life & art has encouraged people all over the world to come from a place of honest expression and what Sabrina likes to call…True Living.   
Two years ago I ended up in a field of grass hip high.This is where I began to make the body work that has come to be called The True Living Project. The entire True Living Project consists of 68 site~specific lifetime collaborative projects.
She has recently returned to New York after 2 years spent along the Central California coast living in a historic One Room School house taking manya bath outside she left with 23 cents.
Sabrina is the creator of four groundbreaking published journals; the first one being published at the age of 23:Spilling Open; The Art of Becoming Yourself Villard 1999, Brave on the Rocks; If you don’t Go You Don’t See, Villard 2001, Messy Thrilling Life; the Art of Figuring out How to Live Villard 2004 andThe True And the Questions; a journal Chronicle Books 2005, which is based on the teaching of The Art of Becoming Yourself. A course she created in 1996 with a belief that she hold strong to, that, “we must create what we most need to find.” 
‘As we have barreled deeper and deeper into a technological / result driven 21st century now more than ever I do believe we need to be bought home to the presence of our living. to allow the restful validation of your own tender true humanity, may this work be a living ode to our living. I am striving to create both a visual and emotional unfolding through the textural interchange of photography, sound, collage, film and found objects. As you observe, as you listen may you rest into that place where this moment, and your deepest longing exist.’ 



2 comments:

Molossus said...

I love my Sabrina Ward Harrison sketchbook. The heavier stock is a joy to work on, the pages lie flat, and I don't have to worry about curl or buckling. Out of my 10 or so different kinds of journals, it's my favorite.

JoniB said...

Wow! Thanks for this post. I just put a hold on Ms. Harrison's "Spilling Open" book with our local library. It looks very interesting.

Post a Comment