Monday, April 18, 2011

Letraset and DoodleTuts

Hello, all!  If you have followed my blog for anything length of time you know that in real life today is the end of my busy season - WOO HOO!  So to celebrate, I have a review of some great markers and a surprise (but you'll have to read the entire post, no cheating).



If you have not already found them, you need to check out DoodleTuts.com.  DoodleTuts is a wonderful website offering tutorials and product reviews and, in addition to their website, they have a presence on Twitter.
  
DoodleTuts is launching a Manga School online and teamed up with Letraset to offer a set of their Comic Art markers and in March, they did a drawing for a set of Letraset Twin-tip Promarkers which I won. 

Now although Manga is really not my thing, but I never turn down free stuff and the opportunity to try free art supplies is too good to pass up.

In all honesty, I had never heard of Letraset, which is based out of England, but after taking a look at their website and trying out their pens, I have to say that I am very impressed.  Their product range is really great and their prices are good too (this set retails for $24 at DickBlick).  The only product I have tried that I can compare them to is the Copic line of markers, which I have a few of the Copic Sketch, and only a few (if you are familiar with the Copic line you now how expensive they area: a set of 12 retails for $59 at DickBlick).

Here I have done some coloring with the set that I received.  This set consist of 10 pastel shades and a fine line pen - I have to say that I REALLY like the fine line pen, which is a .1 mm in these sets.  Letraset markers are available at DickBlick, CheapJoes and Amazon, but I have not yet found a US source for their fine line pens. (The black fill-in in the photo was done a Copic).


The paper is Canson's Artist Series Marker Pro Layout.  This is really great paper for alcohol based markers like the Letraset or Copic.



I also used them to color a Zentangle® inspired postcard for MailArt365.



I previously stated that Manga is not my thing and my artistic forays are heading more towards watercolor and acrylic paint at the moment.  Also, since the crowd over at Letraset and DoodleTuts was so generous as to offer this giveaway, I have decided that I am going to pay it forward.

This means that you can win this set of slightly used markers.  Here are the rules, PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY.:

1. You must be a regular follower of this blog or my other blog:  Whatever Artsy Stuff (please just be honest).

2.  Leave a comment WITH YOUR EMAIL address on the blog.  

3. You can get an extra entry by following DoodleTuts and Letraset on Twitter and tweeting the following:  I am following @Doodletuts and @LetrasetUK for a chance to win from @FPNOkami #LetrasetProMarkers.

4.  All comments and tweets must be made by midnight US eastern daylight savings time on Saturday April 23.

5. The winner will be announced on Sunday, April 24 on my blog.

6.   If  you are the winner, and I do not already know you, and you not leave an email address I will choose another winner.

I forgot to mention that this giveaway is open to all; US or International, I will ship it worldwide.

Good Luck!!

13 comments:

Aisazia said...

Aw too bad, I've just recently been following you. Those markers do look nice! Thanks for the review. :)

Aimee said...

Oooh...visual art isn't really my thing, but my daughter is more and more into drawing, specifically manga, she would *adore* those markers. I'm a faithful reader :)

Molossus said...

Ooh! *waves hand wildly* Add me! Add me, please!!! My fingers are itching to try out this stuff--pens and markers are entirely my thing! My email address: LifeImitatesDoodles@gmail.com

Thank you so much. Even if I don't win, I know what to put on my wish list (which is already so long, you don't even want to know, lol)!

Connie said...

Wow, thanks so much for this chance, Julie! These markers look great!

onishii@hotmail.com

SheilaM said...

These look wonderful! Would be happy to play with them!

bagginshouse at gmail dot com

Sara said...

Thank you for the chance ^^

(I love your Zentangle work. ♥ )

saraa at sbcglobal dot net

range said...

Nice, I wouldn't mind winning those!

Calculi said...

Those are great markers. Thanx for the giveaway! I've been following your blog as well as you on twitter. :-)

And my email add. is calculi [at] gmail [dot] com

Sapphire said...

I'm not including my email because I have loads of these and their higher priced cousin the refillable Tria three nibbed markers.
I just wanted to say that they are really top quality markers and probably more common in the UK than Copics.
There is a new Aquamarker range with waterbased inks but I haven't tried them.

ginigin said...

I love your zendoodles with color using these. But would love to win a set to play with myself. Thanks for review - they will go on my wish list at Blick. I follow you on Google Reader, though only recently signed up for Artsy Stuff. Enjoying watching your journey into art. cooper at swva dot net.

Holly Wendt said...

What a nifty set of markers! (And a very helpful review--thanks!)

metallikitten12[at]yahoo[dot]com

Heather said...

These markers look great - I would love to try them out. And your doodles and drawings are great as well.

I'm already a follower and my email address is: heather [dot] papertrees [at] gmail [dot] com

andytgeezer said...

WOAH! What a colour set! I am in love with my Sharpies at the moment but I will definitely give these a visit later on when the nice payman comes along.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask - what watercolours do you use Okami?

Post a Comment