Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Davis California - did you know?

I recently spent a week in Davis California attending a class at the University of California, Home of the Aggies.

Some quick facts:


Davis is a lovely city to visit and this is the second time that I have been.  There are several highlights (for me).

First and foremost is the arboretum.  Because of the location of my class, at the Law School's King Hall, and where I was staying, the Aggie Inn, I had the pleasure of walking to and from class each day on the arboretum's trails.



I even took a conference call one morning sitting on a bench overlooking Lake Spofford. I could really get used to working in this setting.

The view during my conference call

Next, the Farmer's Market.  What a blast!  I only wish that I had some way to transport all the lovely lush fresh produce.   Cherries and peaches and apricots and nectarines and strawberries!!  The strawberries were HUGE!! Plus there was wine and vinegar and breads, just too many good things to list.

There was also live music from local artists, the night I was there it was SLICE—R&B/Latin Fusion, they were very good and I had the pleasure of seeing the Davis Dynamites perform, they are a jump rope team from the Davis Waldorf school.


Even art - check out this print that I got from an artist named Stuart Ractliff. I fell in love with the texture.




Then there is Thursday Night.  Thursday night means the weekly meeting of the Fire University




Lastly, there is the proximity to the Napa Valley and the wineries. This year's winery tour was to the Artesa Vineyards & Winery.  I did not attend (I did on my prior visit) because I really wanted to go to the Farmer's Market which was the same evening, plus it's a 70 mile trip by bus.

Conclusion?  If you are in northern central California, you really should plan to visit this wonderful university town.  Oh, I forgot to mention that Davis has tons of great restaurants and wonderfully friendly residents.

5 comments:

Gentian said...

Seems like a nice pace and I'm glad you have fun! :) Arboretums and Farmer's Markets are always wonderful :)

stART said...

Methinks you had too much fun - sounds beautiful!

Melissa Johnston Barrett said...

I had always heard that Davis was a wonderful town and I'm glad to get a peek at its attributes. It's beautiful! Love the print, btw. :)

Stephanie said...

That arboretum looks lovely! I have to admit that I've never made it to Davis. Just never had a good reason...

I covet that print. So pretty.

Michelle said...

Sounds and looks wonderful... I'd love that lake walk nearby. x

Post a Comment