Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Featured Pen - Kaweco AC Sport

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]

I am supposed to be under a self imposed pen purchasing moratorium and attempting to thin the herd, (due to a couple of large pen purchases, more about that in future posts) but have allowed myself two additions outside of the splurge.

Total count right now is about 65 - not counting the 16 that I am planning on trying to rehome *SIGH* - they are like unwanted puppies and kittens.  So cute, but you just can keep them all.  Ok, enough of that.

This is supposed to be a review, so let's get to it.

I purchased this Kaweco AC Sport from JetPens about a week ago and have been using it daily since I acquired it.  Now, the difference is, I'm not using this pen for writing, but for drawing.  You can see my drawings over on my other blog, In Pursuit of a Hidden Artist.

First a history lesson.  All of the following information is from the Kaweco homepage.

Kaweco has a long history dating back to 1883 and the launch of the Heidelberger Federhalterfabrik (dip pen factory) by the gentlemen Luce and En├člen.  The name "Kaweco" does not appear until 1889.

In 1908, the first safety fountain pen is patented by Kaweco.

In 1912, the Kaweco catalog first mentions the pocket fountain pen for ladies, officers and sportsmen.  This is the date of the founding of the Kaweco Sport.

You can read all about the history of the Sport in a 33 page pdf which shows all models of the pens and pencils going back to 1912.

I had no idea that this company had such a long history, all the details are available in the History section of the website.

The AC Sport is made of solid matte finished aluminum comined with genuine carbon and is available in 3 colors.  Red, which is a limited edition; black and silver.

I have owned a Sport Classic White mechanical pencil for a number of years. I don't use it a lot because it is a little bulky, but because it is also small and comes in a nifty little plastic case it is perfect for carrying in my purse.  My new pen fits perfectly in the case beside that pencil.

I purchased this pen based upon two things. First, a wonderful blog post by Brian Goulet over at Ink Nouveau.  If only he carried the AC Sport, I would have purchased it from him. Second, fellow blogger Gentian, has highly praised her Kaweco Lilliput, so I dove in and am very please that I did.

This pen is extremely well constructed.  It measures just under 4-1/4" long capped and just under 5-1/4" long posted.  I purchased this pen with an EF nib, since I planned to use it for drawing.  If I have one complaint about the pen, it is that is will only accept cartridges.  Even the little Monteverde converter will not fit this pen. But that's ok, I just refill the cartridges with ink.

Just in case, you didn't visit my other blog, here is a drawing done with the Kaweco.  Oh, the ink above and below is Platinum Carbon Black.


Gentian said...

Really nice shoe drawing :) Seems like the Kaweco is working out well! :)

Gentian said...

Oh forgot to say, I do love my liliput :D I wish they had the EF nib when I bought mine though.

Speedmaster said...

Very cool!!!

Trece said...

65 pens/ Is that just fountain pens? If it includes gel pens, ballpoints, as well, I may have you beat! Looking forward to what else you got.

Nick said...

Great review! I found you over on the fpn art thread and you pointed me here when I asked how you like your kaweco. I ordered one right after reading your review, black AC sport with an ef nib, I can't wait. Also, great drawings over on your sketch blog. Is the 75 sketches 75 days an online group or challenge, or is it just something you decided to do? Either way, I want in!


Julie (O-kami) said...

Hi Nick - the 75 sketches 75 days is a challenge from Brenda Swenson - very informal - see her post here

kp said...

Thanks for the review on the AC Sport. I've been very curious about this pen. After seeing your lovely sketches, I ventured over to your other blog site and have been having a nice afternoon enjoying your artwork. I've been saying that I need to discover my inner artist for some time. I've never been much of an artist, but have always wanted to draw. Your posts have encouraged me to be a little less afraid to make an attempt in that arena. thank you.

KjM said...

That is a really nice pen, beautiful nib, and a gorgeous drawing. Nice to see there are some who can create art with a fountain pen.

65? Well, now I don't feel so bad! :-)

Not, in truth, that I was feeling all *that* bad - I really like the collection I've amassed.

Enjoy your AC Sport - and thank your for the history behind the company.

Sara Z. said...

I have four of these - 3 plastic and one of the AL's. They are just SO reliable and great writers. One of these and a cool little metal vial of J. Herbin Perle Noir cartridges is my go-to travel kit.

Harold Trammel said...

I believe that Goulet Pens now carries this model.

J.Lane said...

Although the sport only accepts cartridges it is very simple to work around that. Instead of using cartridges I fill the barrel with ink from a syringe, liberally apply 100% silicone grease around the threads and the screw the 2 pieces together. I believe I learned this trick on Jetpens blog. If not I have seen it a few places since then, if you look you will find reliable instructions. I have never had a problem with leaking. Hope that helps.

Julie (O-kami) said...

This method will work well for the plastic Sport lines, but I would not recommend it with this pen. The barrell is aluminum and ink can do funny things to metals. Thanks though, I have converted a number of my plastic barrel pens to eyedropper.

J.Lane said...

Great point! I didn't think of that. Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was strange that wasn't mentioned. Now it is all clear for me.

Brian Goulet said...

Thanks so much for the shoutout here, Julie! Sorry I didn't have the AC for you at the time you wanted it. We have the Classic, ICE, and Al-Sports, but not the AC. We just haven't bit that bullet yet, they are not inexpensive pens! I like your review here, that EF nib on the Kaweco is great, isn't it?

Post a Comment