Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Platinum Mix Free Ink

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]


The following two photos are from Platinum Pens website.





Back in February, when I first read Bruno Taut's post on CRÓNICAS ESTILOGRÁFICAS about the new Platinum Mix-Free inks, I was intrigued but not really all that interested.  After all, I have almost 90 bottles of ink that I need to wade through. 

As a result, when they were actually released a few weeks ago, I did not purchase the set and do not know that I ever will (those 90 bottles are leering at me from their shelf).

However, I can't say that I did not want to try them out for myself.  After all, two of my fav inks, Carbon Black and Pigment Brun Sepia. 

Recently I have been playing Pear Tree Pens Thursday Morning trivia game on Facebook (when I remember) and I won a sample of ink carts and then won a second time.  The second prize was the same as the first, so Ryan asked if I had tried the Mix-Free inks yet and if not would I be interested?  Heck yeah!!  Only condition, I needed to write this blog post. (hey, Ryan, twist my arm, why don't you?)



The set consist of nine basic inks.  I'm not a big fan/user of blue or black so I would probably never buy the Aurora Blue or Smoky Black (I thought that the black might be a good ink for art, but although the ink is water resistant it is NOT waterproof).  The Sunny Yellow and Fiery Red are my next least favorites, although I think both might make really good highlighting inks for my new Pelikan M205 Duo.  Let me tell you, this red is radioactive.  I'm normally a fan of red inks but this one is too much for me on it's own.  Much like the Sailor Irori, it's just too red. Although, I'm sure that I can make a really cool orange from these. (note to self, add that to the "to do" list).

I absolutely love the other colors as standalone inks - Aqua Blue, Cyclamen Pink, Leafy Green, Earthy Brown and Silky Purple.  But then I got to thinking, a friend in London has been struggling to find a decent replacement for MontyB Racing Green, since it has been discontinued.

The results aren't perfect but I think that they aren't too bad.  This could be a solution for all the Racing Green fans out there.


MB Racing Green is the one with the connecting sepia line, the others are my test mixes


Keep in mind that this was trial and error - so you might want to do your mix a little differently from mine.

6 parts Leafy Green
3 parts Earthy Brown
3 parts Sunny Yellow
2 parts Aurora Blue
2 parts Smoky Black
1 part reducer

MontyB is a little grayer than my result, but hey it's close.  Let me know if you come up with something closer.

So to get your own set of these lovely inks - head on over to the Pear Tree Pen Company and tell them that O-kami sent you.

I am not being compensated for this review and I have no relationship to the Pear Tree Pen Company, other that the provision of the samples used in this review.

7 comments:

JoniB said...

Great review! I think you are almost perfect with that green, too.

Molossus said...

Great review! Only 90 bottles? See, this is why I have resisted getting into fountain pens, even though I lust after them.

Molossus said...

Thank you for your review. I've resisted getting into fountain pens and ink but I love reading about them and dreaming.

Only 90 bottles? You need at least 9 more. You know, 99 bottles of ink on the wall. 99 bottle of ink...

See, that's why I resist, lol! I'd probably have 199!

Shangching said...

Lovely review. I hesitate on these ink from the very beginning because it is almost like opening Pendora's Box. Not to mention the price itself can be intimidating as well. But after reading your review, it definitely gets the hamster running!

KjM said...

Oh dear, I was looking for a good, rich green for my Edison Urushi Herald...but mixing my own, I don't want to go there.

And I don't want to think about, because I might find myself rher after all :-)

Tas said...

Wow!!

I used your recipe with what I had laying around.

6 parts Diamine Emerald
3 parts Herbin Lie De The
3 parts R&K Alt-Goldgrun
2 parts Diamine Blue Black
2 parts generic black ink

Stunning. Thank you so much.
Tas.

Tas said...

Wow!!

I used your recipe with what I had laying around.

6 parts Diamine Emerald
3 parts Herbin Lie de The
3 parts R&K Alt-Goldgrun
2 parts Diamine Blue Black
2 parts generic black ink

Stunning.
Thank you so much.
Tas

Post a Comment