Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Never Ending Project

I thought that I would share with you a project that has become an unending process from which no improvement is seen, even though I undertake it with enthusiasm (not) 2-3 days a week, every week.

So, you say, what is this project??

uh hem, cleaning my desk


If you read my blog regularly, then you know that the job that pays for the pens is as a tax accountant. I often work from home and have 4 monitors at the office, hence the need for at least three here.  They take up a lot of real estate, but that's real estate that would just get cluttered with other stuff.


 I also have two desks, one that holds the computers and STUFF, and one that I use as a workspace.


The workspace holds everything else, journals, letters, art, art supplies, pens - you name it, it's probably there.




As we continue around the room, you can see that the desk space has been extended with a laptop table - and I still need more deskspace. 


 In addition to the regular job, I am the treasurer for a couple of non profit organizations, so I also have their records, plus lots of books to read.  The books on the top shelf above are artbooks, the right side of the next two shelves are books that I have not read yet.  The left two shelves are a mixture of blank skectchbooks, filled sketchbooks, magazines and more art/design books.

 

The final leg of our journey reveals the pen and paper book case. Here resides the ink, pen repair stuff and more journals than you can shake a stick at (as my grandmother would say, what does that really mean and why would I want to shake a stick at it?) I just had to go look that up (I love the Internet) and here is what I found, from Wiktionary.com: Just to let you know I have a cabinet (this one) which holds most of the art supplies, it's not even in these photos.

Etymology

Unknown. In use since about 1800.

[edit] Adjective

more than one can shake a stick at (not comparable)
  1. occurring in abundance; of a large quantity; many
    Any English High Street has more Indian Restaurants than you can shake a stick at.

I guess that is an appropriate term in this case. So let me wrap up with a couple of things - first, you should know that these photos are AFTER shots, meaning AFTER I cleaned up this morning.  I could not find anything on my desk this morning so I started to put things away, which means, yes, I still can't find anything on my desk. I will tell you that this has to be cleaned up by January when busy season begins and I'm working from home more. Secondly, what does your desk/workspace look like?  Do you have any suggestions for keeping it cleared, once you manage to clear it??

Have a great day!
 

5 comments:

Laura Eno said...

AHHHH! *runs screaming from the room*
I don't think I can help. This is what my office looks like:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1404003158491.49036.1784755583&type=3

Molossus said...

Wow! You do a better job at keeping things straightened up than I do. Have my craft time consists of crawling under piles to find just what I want. However, I always have several pads or journals, pens and markers by my chair at easy reach for tangling.

Stephanie said...

Oh man! That's so much stuff! THREE monitors! I have no tips. I have one somewhat large desk that's cluttered with papers I don't necessarily need and candles and a laptop. It sort of works for me.

Greasemonkeyhands said...

Looks like my room but add 2 bicycles, 2 basses, 2 guitars, 2 ukuleles... ;)

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

I'll not be showing my space.. yours if VERY tidy compared to mine... and my area is home to 3 cats and two parrots. One of these days I need to get organized... yes... one of these days :-)

Post a Comment