Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Waterproof Black Fountain Pen Inks

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]


Goulet Pens had a Samplepalooza sale a few weeks ago and I indulged with 20 ink samples, including these waterproof blacks.  I figured 20 samples was a whole lot better than 20 more bottles.

I've been using Platinum Carbon Black for about a year for my art and thought that I would check out some of the other blacks to see if one might compare, perhaps for a few less dollars. Carbon Black in a wonderful ink, but it is a little on the pricey side, although the bottle is larger than some at 60ml/2 oz.  Carbon Black is $19.00 per bottle at Goulet Pens and $25.00 at JetPens.

The paper used for the above testing is Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 24 lb.  First I did a q-tip swab of each ink and then wrote the inks name next to it (I used a glass dip pen). The swab tests show that the blackest inks are the Noodler's Polar Black and Noodler's X-Feather.

Five of these eight inks are Noodler's all of which are "Eternal" inks and "Bulletproof". As you can see from the tests some of these are more eternal and bulletproof than others.  Polar Black and Heart of Darkness are the best.

Sailor Kiwa-Guro went on the smoothest, for large applications this ink would give the most seamless appearance.

The Private Reserve Invincible Black is the old formulation.  I emailed Brian Goulet to ask about the difference and his understanding is that the reformulation is related to an effort to reduce the cost of the production.

Edited to add:  I failed to describe the torture test.  I used a q-tip to scrub the written names and then I held the whole thing under running water for a few minutes.
Conclusion:  Platinum Carbon Black is still my top choice, but when I need a new bottle of ink, I will probably get Noodler's Polar Black, the price $12.50 for 3 oz or $18.00 for 4.5 oz so their is considerable savings there.

7 comments:

Molossus said...

Wish I'd seen this before buying my Heart of Darkness--although I did get a free pen with it. Ah well, live and learn!

Cheryl said...

This is a very useful comparison - thanks! How did you torture test your inks? Did you just dip them in water for a second or scrub them with a wet Qtip or both?

Julie (O-kami) said...

Cheryl - oops I failed to put the info into the post about the torture test - will do that now.

Anon said...

Thank you for this review! The results are very telling, and I'm tempted to try a few new inks, as well.

Brian Goulet said...

Thanks for the link to my store, Julie, and for taking the time to put together this little torture test! There are a slew of waterproof black inks, I'm glad you're able to provide some help here for folks deciding between them all.

Freddie J.Gonzales said...

Hiya, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish only about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is} what I need. Thanks for keeping this web-site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Cant find it.
Kenneth Cole Women's Tunic Dress With Blocked Stripes

Julie (O-kami) said...

No - I don't currently do a newsletter, but it is something that I will look into - maybe after my busy season. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post a Comment